CAE is the UK’s leading authority on inclusive design, assisting clients to create and manage built environments that everyone can use and enjoy. We offer a wide range of high quality and expert access consultancy services tailored to meet the needs of our clients and access auditing is one of our most sought after services.
The purpose of an Access Audit is to establish how well a building performs in relation to access and ease of use by a wide range of potential users, including people with physical mobility, cognitive and sensory impairments. Access audits are valuable:
- To identify necessary adjustments in the service provided to disabled customers to meet the requirements of current provisions of the Equality Act 2010 (formerly the Disability Discrimination Act/DDA), BS8300, and Part M of the Building Regulations.
- As the first “reasonable step” to disabled access indicated in legislation, in recognising the possible obstacles, and devising solutions, to avoid possible litigation by discriminating by way of a worse service to a disabled customer.
- To consider existing management and organisation of a building and the service from it, to achieve maximum accessibility.
- As part of a future Access Action Plan, enabling incorporation of reasonable adjustments on future refurbishment, regular maintenance and budget planning for substantial capital costs.
- To help gain consent for alterations, extensions and new builds in compliance with Part M of the Building Regulations.
- To assist application for Lottery, National Heritage and other public funding.
We are flexible, knowledgeable and highly experienced with access auditing projects of all types and sizes.
Please feel free to contact us and talk through your requirements.