Frequently asked questions

We are committed to providing accessible inclusive design advice to people who need it. This section aims to help with our most common queries.

If your question is not found here, please feel free to contact us.


Q: Can you provide access audits, design appraisals and access statements?

A: Yes, CAE provides all access consultancy services at reasonable rates. Please contact us or see our consultancy pages for further information.

Back to top


Q: I am looking for some dimensions / design guidance. Where can I find the national standards for accessibility?

A: General dimensions, layouts and measurements can be found in building regulations, such as the Approved Document to Part M (now in two parts), (in Scotland and Northern Ireland , the Technical Handbooks contain information on accessibility.)

British Standard BS 8300: Design of buildings and their. approaches to meet the needs of disabled people. Code of Practice provides detailed guidance and ergonomic standards. Available to purchase from the British Standards Institute.

Back to top


Q: Where can I find out more about disability rights and the Equality Act?

A: The Equality and Human Rights Commission provide a range of free online guidance and documents

Back to top


Q: Where can I find access equipment suppliers?

A: The Disabled Living Foundation offers a range of advice on services such as access equipment. Enabled by Design is a community/peer-led website reviewing and rating new and useful products that are easy to use.

Back to top


Q: Where can I find a casework service or legal support for a claim?

A: The CAE does not provide a casework service or offer specific legal support. Contact the Disability Law Service if you require this type of service.

Back to top


Q: How do I make a complaint under the Equality Act 2010?

A: There are discrimination questionnaire forms and guidance available from the website: Information on making a complaint under the Equality Act 2010.

Back to top


Q: Where can I find fire safety risk assessment and means of escape guidance for disabled people?

A: The website also advises on fire safety risk assessment and means of escape for disabled people: Fire safety risk assessment and means of escape for disabled people. See also national building standards for fire and egress requirements. CAE also offer accessible fire safety advice and guidance and a paid-for service under our consultancy services.

Back to top


Q: I am interested in access and would like to visit the CAE –  can I just drop into the office?

A: Thank you for your interest in our work. We are always interested in collaborating with partners, but please do contact us by phone or by email first to arrange a convenient time – we are not always able to accommodate unsolicited visitors.

You can find out more about CAE and our work from this website or by visiting our Facebook page and twitter account.

Back to top


Q: I need some help with house adaptations / looking for accessible housing guidance

A: Habinteg Housing Association Ltd provides information about accessible and wheelchair accessible homes in the form of design guidance. Habinteg administrates the Lifetime Homes website and is the author of the Lifetime Homes Design Guide. The Lifetime Homes Standard is broadly similar to the Category 2 housing standard in the government’s housing standards published in March 2015.

Habinteg has published a Wheelchair Housing Design Guide as well as research into unmet housing need and allocation of accessible homes. This information can all be found on Habinteg’s website under ‘championing inclusion’ or on Habinteg’s publications pages.

A local home improvement agency can also offer advice.

Back to top


Q: My question isn’t listed here, how do I get help?

A: If you have a question or query and cannot find the answer on our website, please feel free to contact us by email or post.

Back to top