Principal access stairs should provide easy access in accordance with the specification below, regardless of whether or not a lift is provided.
Required specification for Criterion 5a – Communal Stairs
Communal stairs providing a principal access route to a dwelling regardless of whether or not a lift is provided should be easy going, with:
- Uniform rise not exceeding 170mm.
- Uniform going not less than 250mm.
- Handrails that extend 300mm beyond the top and bottom.
- Handrails height 900mm from each nosing.
- Step nosings distinguishable through contrasting brightness.
- Risers which are not open.