Where a dwelling is reached by a lift, it should be fully accessible in accordance with the specification below.
Required specification for Criterion 5b – Communal Lifts (where applicable)
Provision of a lift is not a Lifetime Home requirement (see recommendations below), but where a lift is provided, it should:
- Have minimum internal dimensions of 1100mm x 1400mm.
- Have clear landings adjacent to the lift entrance of 1500mm x 1500mm.
- Have lift controls at a height between 900mm and 1200mm from the floor and 400mm from the lift’s internal front wall.
Good practice recommendations that exceed, or are in addition to, the above requirements:
- Provide lift access to all dwellings above entrance level as far as practicable.
- Provide access to two lifts within blocks of 4 or more storeys.
- Where lift access is not provided, consider potential to enable provision at a later date (by provision of space and/or adaptation).